• You cannot reply to this topic

Copyright Issues Please Read before Posting Music Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   thevoice 

• Junkie
  • Group: VoicePro
  • Class:Voice Over Talent
  • Call Letters:First Step Productions

Posted January 16, 2007 - 4:23 AM

I came across this very helpful and in depth article that all of us who post music to Radio Daddy should read before posting the next time.

http://www.copyright...RArticlesQA.htm

It should answer almost any question you have concerning copyrights.

Dave

#2 Guest_Darrenm_*

• Group: Guests

Posted January 16, 2007 - 11:53 AM

View Postthevoice, on Jan 16 2007, 06:23 AM, said:

I came across this very helpful and in depth article that all of us who post music to Radio Daddy should read before posting the next time.

Dave

Does this apply to Canadian users of RD? we have no copyright laws in place. The US law is totally F***d

:biggrin:

#3 User is offline   thevoice 

• Junkie
  • Group: VoicePro
  • Class:Voice Over Talent
  • Call Letters:First Step Productions

Posted January 29, 2007 - 6:23 PM

View PostDarrenm, on Jan 16 2007, 12:53 PM, said:

Does this apply to Canadian users of RD? we have no copyright laws in place. The US law is totally F***d

Are you being a sarcastic smart ass Darren or do you seriously believe Canada has no copyright laws? :cool:

Dave

#4 Guest_Darrenm_*

Posted January 29, 2007 - 6:50 PM

View Postthevoice, on Jan 29 2007, 08:23 PM, said:

Are you being a sarcastic smart ass Darren or do you seriously believe Canada has no copyright laws? :cool:

Dave

If you are talking about the DCMA or whatever its called Canada does not fall under this law. We have copyright laws but when it comes to the internet there are NO laws socan has been trying to pass a law for 4 yrs and it will never pass. That is what I am reffering to

#5 User is offline   Intimidated 

• Group: Banned
  • Class:Internet Station
  • Call Letters:Nice Bandwidth, We'll Take It

Posted January 30, 2007 - 7:27 AM

View PostDarrenm, on Jan 30 2007, 01:50 AM, said:

If you are talking about the DCMA or whatever its called Canada does not fall under this law. We have copyright laws but when it comes to the internet there are NO laws socan has been trying to pass a law for 4 yrs and it will never pass. That is what I am reffering to

I'm sorry, but this is false.

It is true that the DMCA is highly over restrictive, but internet-based copyright violation is still copyright violation under canadian (and UK) law.

For clarification, under the DMCA, it is illegal to PROVIDE, FACILITATE or otherwise ASSIST the production / supply of copyright content.

In countries not covered by the DMCA, for example Canada and the UK, only the person providing the copyrighted content is technically in breach of the law (in theory, downloading copyrighted content is not in breach, however it is a "grey area" of the law and can probably be prosecuted anyway).

This post has been edited by Intimidated: January 30, 2007 - 7:29 AM

#6 User is offline   RadioDanny 

• Admin
  • Group: Administrators

Posted May 20, 2007 - 2:53 PM

Good info - I would add too - that anyone who posts copyrighted material in which you do not own the copyright to, will be permanently banned from the system. I hate to be this way, but in this day and age, we can't afford to defend a copyright lawsuit. Pirating is illegal, whether its bootlegging software, DVDs, Mp3s, etc. - We do not want any part of any illegal activities on RadioDaddy.

Also - please read the following topic - with additional information regarding posting requests and material on RadioDaddy http://www.radiodadd...p...c=18872&hl=

View Postthevoice, on Jan 16 2007, 06:23 AM, said:

Dave

#7 Guest_retrohitsdotca_*

Posted May 20, 2007 - 3:23 PM

View PostIntimidated, on Jan 30 2007, 10:27 AM, said:

I'm sorry, but this is false.

It is true that the DMCA is highly over restrictive, but internet-based copyright violation is still copyright violation under canadian (and UK) law.

For clarification, under the DMCA, it is illegal to PROVIDE, FACILITATE or otherwise ASSIST the production / supply of copyright content.

In countries not covered by the DMCA, for example Canada and the UK, only the person providing the copyrighted content is technically in breach of the law (in theory, downloading copyrighted content is not in breach, however it is a "grey area" of the law and can probably be prosecuted anyway).

Um i beg to differ, but NO Canada is not subject to ANY laws of CRB USA period. grey area or not! Canada USA UK all separate countries all with their own laws.

#8 User is offline   TheotherMarkhanna 

• Group: Members
  • Class:Other

Posted June 09, 2007 - 4:07 PM

Retrohit is very right there,Canada is a big difference to USA and the UK (because UK follow the US copyright law almost letter for letter... barrrr, barrr ...sheep ect).

Remember too, production music under MCPS cover.... allows you to share the tracks and publish to another media ect (with a PPL licence).... otherwise no radio stations could demo there commercials for sales guys to play to there clients --- it's only on "Broadcast" it needs logging for payment, unless you have a blanket MCPS & PPL Licence (although a log is still needed) ... thats the way it was running in the UK whilst I was working in Commercial Production. You will also find, the "Broadcaster" is the party that pays... NOT the producers. That's as I knew it for Production music companies, unless it's "buy out" music. Buyout or leased music can NOT be shared or copied... Only the producer with the buyout licence can use the music. Commercial music (ie chart stuff ect), is just a big NO NO for use with promoting/advertising products.... the costs are massive and the miss-use can land you getting sued into a blackhole in space!

Mark.

This post has been edited by TheotherMarkhanna: June 09, 2007 - 4:16 PM

#9 User is offline   AJKing 

Posted June 27, 2007 - 9:46 AM

THANKS VERY MUCH VERY HELPFUL

#10 User is offline   Keoll 

• Call Letters:No Boundaries Radio - Breaking down the genre walls in the name of rock

Posted July 01, 2007 - 3:42 PM

I had found this site before but lost the Bookmark to a system crash....Thanks for popping it up on the forums....There are many questions that have popped up recently since the CRB decision was "passed"

#11 User is offline   scott s. 

• Active Poster
  • PipPipPip

Posted July 18, 2007 - 2:25 PM

View Postrhantson, on Jul 5 2007, 12:28 PM, said:

US Stations keep this in mind as well... the CRB decision / and the royalties surrounding SoundExchange are seperate from those royalties paid to SESAC, BMI, and ASCAP.

SESAC has recently started sending out letters and contracts to any stations found to be operating in the US outside of LoudCity, SWCast (which apparently is no longer taking applications and supposably shutting down operations soon), and Live365's Royalty Program.

They are giving stations a chance to be legal, or be sued. And believe me, if you are NOT paying royalties, and you are Promoting your station on any website - especially sites like Radio Daddy, Voice Daddy, The World Wide Radio Network, iTunes, AudioRealm, Shoutcast (if you'll notice in your logs, that Shoutcast DNA's report back to the mother ship unless you configure it not to manually) and others, they WILL find you, and they WILL come after you. ASCAP and BMI are following suit, but they are not jumping the CRB July 15th gun because they are pretty sure not only will the ruling stand, but most stations will suddenly go away anyhow, and they are seeming to wait until then, then they will clean up when Loud City and Live365 shut down by hitting all the stations that are still broadcasting.

It's not a case of if, it's a case of when.

If you have your own stream hosts, then LoudCity is probably the cheapest way to get yourself under the radar. Yes, it's probably stupid now with only 10 days left until the end of internet radio in the US as we know it, but it's coming.

Just adding my two and a half cents into the mix...

Later!

what I find fascinating is no one is really getting into what is being posted. are you talking production beds and elements? or regular music? I wouldn't recommend posting production beds, as the copyright holder would likely come after you as these are often specific beds for specific libraries. I know a few libraries are floating around on the net. usually buyout or lease deals. In a production, likely harder to track, but be warned.

As for regular music, the US is a mess of greed and unorganization for royalty rates. It's very grey up here in Canada right now. last I heard downloading was legal, just the whole upload thing was illegal. Interesting compromise. I'm not too worried about my personal internet stream. It's my biz anyway. It would be great to get SOCAN to license a cheap, blanket rate for the few slots I use. they really have to clue in and start offering blanket cheap yearly rates for non commerical schmoes like me, who just want to play around.

#12 User is offline   scott s. 

• Active Poster
  • PipPipPip

Posted July 18, 2007 - 2:30 PM

View Postscott s., on Jul 18 2007, 06:24 PM, said:

what I find fascinating is no one is really getting into what is being posted. are you talking production beds and elements? or regular music? I wouldn't recommend posting production beds, as the copyright holder would likely come after you as these are often specific beds for specific libraries. I know a few libraries are floating around on the net. usually buyout or lease deals. In a production, likely harder to track, but be warned.

As for regular music, the US is a mess of greed and unorganization for royalty rates. It's very grey up here in Canada right now. last I heard downloading was legal, just the whole upload thing was illegal. Interesting compromise. I'm not too worried about my personal internet stream. It's my biz anyway. It would be great to get SOCAN to license a cheap, blanket rate for the few slots I use. they really have to clue in and start offering blanket cheap yearly rates for non commerical schmoes like me, who just want to play around.

OK, so someone did mention production music......I missed it initially...DOH!

#13 User is offline   Bodhi1 

• Call Letters:Liberty Isn't Dead

Posted October 25, 2007 - 8:48 PM

What about news stories from local news stations or even national news channels? Can you use anything from them, or is a license necessary?

Or movie clips?

Anyone have any guidance on either of these?

#14 User is offline   Seb White 

• Class:Licensed Broadcast Station

Posted February 25, 2008 - 3:25 AM

I've now found 2 people posting BLATENTLY copyrighted material, one passing it off as his own work, the other not giving proper credits of saying that it is NOT loyalty free.

Please can someone tell me who I should tell and what action will be taken?

Seb.

P.S. this is the first which completely ripped a bed from a PRIME TIME television show and claimed it as his own.
http://www.radiodaddy.com/requests/Some-mo...eds-t26665.html

and this is the second not giving clear warning that its non-loyalty free (i think just to cover his own back)
http://www.radiodaddy.com/requests/Snazzy-...zzy-t27837.html

#15 User is offline   Doctorwho 

• Regular
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Call Letters:Mr. Happy......

Posted June 19, 2008 - 10:13 PM

Got a question. Maybe Im confused..... This copyright law seems to be so back in the 5th century Roman days, its not even funny. Ive probably read it more than you could read the bible.

Why are people so hyped still and anal about upholding this law, while you got probably BILLIONS of users, members, etc playing Michael Jackson, Mariah Carey, Snoop Dogg, or whatever artist there is out theres tracks over internet radio sites like shoutcast, Live365, etc, 52 billion times a day and everyone seems to be cool about it??? Its sad, I know. Boo-Hoo.

Maybe people that are such activists should go write letters to congress or to the FCC about these sites? Oh wait, you cant, because they already tried, tried sue'ing and lost like an armadillo getting run over by a semi. The case was tossed out the window so fast, it wasnt even worth publishing on tv about it. I know. I read the entire article about it all over shoutcast and laughed for days about it.

Internet radio isnt going away. Never was, never will. Probably 80% of this world uses the internet for some means of uploading, downloading, producing, remixing, or broadcasting copyrighted material, whether its video, or audio, so truly, if anyone is guilty its probably the person reading this post right now.

But yet I see copyrighted material, samples, liners, etc everyday being posted, and no one does anything about it, but you got copyrighted threads up everywhere.

Not being harsh and not trying to pick on anyone. But, am I missing something??

#16 User is offline   babyboy0192003 

• Class:Licensed Broadcast Station

Posted July 17, 2010 - 8:54 AM

View PostDoctorwho, on Jun 19 2008, 09:12 PM, said:

Got a question. Maybe Im confused..... This copyright law seems to be so back in the 5th century Roman days, its not even funny. Ive probably read it more than you could read the bible.

Why are people so hyped still and anal about upholding this law, while you got probably BILLIONS of users, members, etc playing Michael Jackson, Mariah Carey, Snoop Dogg, or whatever artist there is out theres tracks over internet radio sites like shoutcast, Live365, etc, 52 billion times a day and everyone seems to be cool about it??? Its sad, I know. Boo-Hoo.

Maybe people that are such activists should go write letters to congress or to the FCC about these sites? Oh wait, you cant, because they already tried, tried sue'ing and lost like an armadillo getting run over by a semi. The case was tossed out the window so fast, it wasnt even worth publishing on tv about it. I know. I read the entire article about it all over shoutcast and laughed for days about it.

Internet radio isnt going away. Never was, never will. Probably 80% of this world uses the internet for some means of uploading, downloading, producing, remixing, or broadcasting copyrighted material, whether its video, or audio, so truly, if anyone is guilty its probably the person reading this post right now.

But yet I see copyrighted material, samples, liners, etc everyday being posted, and no one does anything about it, but you got copyrighted threads up everywhere.

Not being harsh and not trying to pick on anyone. But, am I missing something??

Welllll thats not entirely true. Especially for live 365. Live365 isnt a internet radio thing, its a network that plays actual radio station who pay for the right to play music. Most of these folks dont make their own sfx, they get them off a CD which is once again paid for. Music is really touchy if you download music thats illegal and then posting it even more illegal. Its kinda like stealing a car and then giving it to someone as a present.

My question is what if I DID in fact buy a song, sampled it and then posted it. Is that cool or no?

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

©2004-2012 RadioDaddy.com
All Rights Reserved.
Terms of Use | Report Abuse