RadioDaddy.com: Equipment + Software Needs - RadioDaddy.com

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Equipment + Software Needs Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   cwmedia 

• Group: Members
  • Class:Internet Station
  • Call Letters:Christian Music for Today's Youth!

Posted October 26, 2011 - 11:07 AM

I am just curious what people are using for hardware and software to do their voice overs.

Microphone preferences
Voice Processors

I am trying to get started in this some, just trying to get some ideas from the pro's here.

Thanks,
Clint

#2 User is offline   spike 

• Junkie
  • Group: VoicePro
  • Class:Voice Over Talent
  • Call Letters:it's like radio but better

Posted October 26, 2011 - 11:47 AM

Hi Clint,
this is the one question that gets asked most. If you scout around the forums I think most of us have covered this topic numerous times. Also as well have a look at the videos available on RD and you Tube there are loads of great tutorials available. I use A shure sm7b mic, with a focusrite one preamp. I have other bits of equipment i use for different recordings but thats the mainstay. I use a Maudio fastrak 2 interface and adobe audition 3 +vst's for the majority of recording but there is tons of recording software out there for starting up. Audacity will start you off and it's free.
Everyone has there own preferences and bit of equipment that suits there voice/style and pocket. Your budget will dictate how far along you can start, but my rule is spend as much as you can afford. I'm a firm believer in you get what you pay for! Keep an eye on ebay as well you get some great bargains popping up from time to time that can save you a fortune.

good luck

regards

Spike

#3 User is offline   Emmett 

• Master of Loudness
  • Group: VoicePro
  • Class:Licensed Broadcast Station
  • Call Letters:Learfield Sports Network

Posted October 28, 2011 - 9:33 AM

That's it. There are a gazillion choices and everyone is using something different. How serious you are also determines what you get. There's a big difference between someone who wants to make a few bucks on the side and someone who wants to make a living. Some people are doing both voice and production, while others are doing voice only or production only. Some people get only the bare essentials, while some people prefer a more lavish setup. You do get what you pay for. The law of diminishing returns always applies with audio gear and it's up to you how far you want to go. One of the best things you can do is post samples here (and elsewhere) so other people can point out things you may have overlooked in the sound.

As for the gear I use, I've been building and rebuilding my studio for a long time. I use a Rode NTG-3 as my primary mic, but I have a complete mic locker that includes Blue, Sennheiser, Audio-Technica, Rode and M-Audio. I use Focal Solo6 Be monitors, Apogee converters, an M-Audio ProjectMix IO controller, Soundcraft mixer, M-Audio & Avid interfaces, a Focusrite Voicemaster Pro, Furman power conditioning and lots of other goodies. For software, I own Audition 3, Pro Tools 10, Waves Platinum, Waves API and Waves SSL, as well as all iZotope plugins.

Save some budget for acoustic control. Doing that right will make cheap equipment sound a lot better and good equipment sound great.

Emmett

#4 User is offline   Valentina 

• Group: Members
  • Class:Voice Over Talent

Posted January 07, 2012 - 6:36 PM

I am very new here and still reading and learning about what equipment to invest in, and until I figure out exactly what that will be, I am using the built in microphone on my Mac Book Pro, Audio Hijack Pro and Audacity to record, add sound effects and such. It is NO where near professional in quality, but it is good enough for side projects and getting feedback on how I am doing as a voice actor in training.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

©2004-2012 RadioDaddy.com
All Rights Reserved.
Terms of Use | Report Abuse